POINTED CABBAGE STIR FRY
This recipe was created by the lovely Ingrid @veggie_ying. Thank you Ingrid!
The recipe originated in the Penghu islands, about 45 kilometers from the western coast of Taiwan. The original recipe uses peanuts as cabbage and peanuts are popular and local produce.
Inspired by the one rooted in Penghu, I replace peanuts by Beanlife's hazelnuts tempeh.
🌿1/2 Pointed cabbage (never use the white cabbage! If you cannot find pointed cabbage, choose any cabbage with crunchy structure)
♻️1/2 Hazelnuts tempeh block 335g (or peanuts in the original recipe)
🌻3 tablespoon sunflower seed oil or olive oil
🔹1 tablespoon soy sauce
🔹1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt (up to taste)
🔹2 tablespoon water
1. Shred the cabbage by hand or cut it into pieces.
2. Cut the tempeh into cubes and fry them golden brown with 2 tablespoon oil.
3. Pour 1 teaspoon soy sauce in the hot pan, mix well with the crispy tempeh cubes. This is the cooking technique (Maillard reaction) and the smell of Taiwan!
4. Remove the soy sauce flavored tempeh. Use the same pan, add a tablespoon oil, turn the heat up until the oil is almost smoking.
5. Put cabbage into the hot pan. Mix well.
6. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoon water to deglaze the thin layer of browned soy sauce on the pan. Stir until the liquid is reduced.
7. When the cabbage is cooked but still crunchy, add tempeh cubes into the cabbage. Mix and serve!